Smudge sticks are natural incense made with dried leaves and flowers assembled together. In indigenous cultures and among shamans, smudge sticks are used to purify environments from negative energies, during religious ceremonies, or to promote healing of the sick.
Smudging is therefore a real purification ritual that can be carried out to purify environments, objects, or people.
- Making white sage smudge sticks is a practical and easy process.
- You just need white sage, cotton and a pair of scissors.
- Bind the sage branches together and burn it to let its smoke work its magic.
The purification ritual takes place through the combustion of the smudge stick. Smudge sticks are made with leaves and flowers of aromatic plants: the most used are sage, lavender, rosemary, and cedar.
These plants are rich in essential oils and useful for purifying rooms thanks to their antibacterial action, for scenting the rooms due to their pleasant aroma, and for improving breathing.
As you might already know, white sage is basically the superstar when it comes to smudging. You can find it everywhere online, but did you know that you can make white sage smudge sticks on your own too?
It’s easy, it’s fun, and it gives you the chance to connect with this herb and its properties, even more, to boost its effects and cleanse your space in a more decisive, powerful way. Let’s see how to make a white sage smudge stick and let me share with you some more tips and guidance for a successful experience!
A step-by-step guide to make white sage smudge sticks
Smudge sticks are easily found in herbal medicine and online, but if you have the leaves and flowers of aromatic plants available, you can easily make a DIY white sage smudge stick.
- To prepare the smudge stick, you first need to collect the white sage. This part is so important. Try to honor the earth and experience the harvesting phase as a way to connect with Mother Earth and her gift. When you harvest the sage, don’t forget to give thanks to nature for allowing you to use its gifts and its energies.Use scissors to harvest it but try to be gentle. It’s even better if you blessed the scissors with oil, you can use Extra Virgin Olive oil if you have it, it’s a powerful blessing ingredient that helps you connect with what’s around you from a place of awareness and of gratitude.
- The herbs must be harvested in their balsamic time, that is, during the period in which their content of essential oils is greatest. Generally, the balsamic time of these plants corresponds to the hottest months of the year, July and August. If you cannot do this during these months, that’s okay. Go for it when you see the sage is at its best.
- Harvesting should take place early in the morning and it is necessary to obtain leaves or twigs that are ten or twenty centimeters long. After harvesting, the herbs will be arranged in small bundles and tied with a natural fabric thread.
- You can use multiple plant species or just one herb to prepare the smudge. If, for example, you love lavender or roses, you can add those plants and flowers to raise up your vibrations. I usually add roses if the smudging has to deal with love affairs, like an argument with my husband.
- The leaves and twigs must all be arranged in the same direction and spirally tied, first in one direction and then in the other, making a double loop at the ends. You can use cotton to bind them. Use white cotton as this color can recall the energy of the cleansing action you want it to perform and manifest for you.
- Once the smudge has been prepared, it must be allowed to dry before it can be used. Leave the stick in a dry, dark place until it’s ready. Don’t be impatient to start smudging! Respect its own drying time as this is an important step. Give it the chance to be ready for you, as without being perfectly dry it won’t create the smoke that is truly necessary for cleansing during a smudging!
Did You Know?
I was honored when I was recently asked by Court TV producers to consult on a case.
You can view the clip below. This case is a great example of why I do not cast any spells that have harmful intentions. As a Professional Spellcaster, I work with clients from all over the world and it’s important to me to remain grounded and stay ‘in the light’ so that I can help as many people as possible.
Casting your own magic spells takes skill and patience and isn’t recommended in most cases. I provide these “do it yourself” articles for educational purposes, but it is strongly recommended that you consult an experienced spell caster such as myself and allow me to do the work for you.
This way you know it’s being done by someone experienced and knowledgeable and I’m also always here to answer questions about your casting and provide follow-up at no additional charge.
Negative Energy Clearing & Protection Spell
The Negative Energy Clearing & Protection Spell is a powerful combination of three rituals/spells designed with the ultimate goal of clearing away negative energy, clearing and balancing the chakras of the body and offering a protection spell that lasts 4-6 months!
What you can expect from me:
- Private and personalized approach
- Casting done in less than 24h
- Only the best ingredients & tools
- Free consultations before & after spell casting
I have helped hundreds of clients over the years, and I’d love to work with you as well.
How to use the white sage smudge stick?
When the smudge is completely dry, it will be possible to burn it to purify environments, objects, or people. The simplest way to use the smudge is to light one end of the herb bundle with a flame and then immediately blow out the flame.
The herbs will continue to burn and the smoke they produce will be diffused around the environment or near the object or person to be purified. The smudge can also be burned in a stone container using incense charcoal.
For the combustion of the smudge to take place correctly, it is essential that the herbs are completely dry and free of moisture.
What is sage?
Sage (of many varieties, such as white and garden varieties) purifies negative energy and removes nightmares. Besides protecting from evil influences, it also ensures good health.
When do I need smudging?
You need to rely on white sage for smudge sticks when you feel stuck, negative, lazy, or a little depressed; the healing scent of a smudge stick could help you. Of course, this is an ancient method used to purify and restore balance.
It is said that burning these sticks at home can help eliminate the negative energy that is created after a fight and helps to free the environment from old relationships and start over with positivity.
Eliminate the accumulated stress after a tiring period and give yourself the energy to face a new day.
What if I cannot find white sage? What if I don’t want to make it on my own? Can I buy it online?
Yes, of course. I know that some herbs and some magical ingredients are very hard to find for some of you. White sage is a bit harder to find than its traditional and most common garden version!
If you cannot find white sage but you still want to smudge your place, you can buy it online. The only recommendation I have for you is to rely on something organic and pure as the herb you are going to use to smudge still should have strong properties and natural vibrations that are powerful enough to actually work.
Rely on a specialized herbalist shop with a quality guarantee.
I love the TamedWild website and I noticed that they’re selling sage there! 🙂
I smudged but nothing happened. What should I do?
You can repeat the white sage smudge stick ritual for a few days until you sense a shift in the energy and positivity appears around you. If you still cannot sense this shift, you think you need some help in dealing with negative energy, or you think you need some protection too, I can help!
You can find many different spells I can cast for you to cleanse your energy and aura, give you protection, and so much more.
Check out all the available options at my shop and, if you cannot find the perfect fit, don’t forget I have a custom spell option available in both white and black magic.