In this article, I am going to shed some light on the intriguing history, composition, and, of course, the best usages of Thieves essential oil. Let’s begin!
- Origins and history of Thieves essential oil
- What is thieves essential oil used for?
- Magickal properties and uses of Thieves essential oil
- The recipe for homemade Thieves essential oil
- Can you buy it online?
Origins and history of Thieves essential oil
In the early 1990s, Gary Young studied essential oils and recreated a mixture he sought after. According to Gary, there are 17 different versions of the “history of thieves” and each contains a different amount of different oils. This intrigued him and he started looking for the perfect combination to create the Thieves Oil for daily use.
He researched the properties of the different oils in the multiple lists of ingredients he found. This led to the creation of a blend of oils called “Young Living Thieves Essential Oil”. His research also led him to discover the history from which this blend takes its name.
Spice traders, known as “Thieves”, lived in the 15th century and traded cinnamon and cloves from India across Europe. When the bubonic plague broke out, navigation and international trade stopped.
Spice traders needed a way to support themselves. The Thieves thus decided to plunder the dead bodies of plague victims to sell clothes, boots, jewelry, pots—everything they could get their hands on to exchange them for food and money.
They knew the spices and their medicinal properties and believed that they would not get sick if they applied this knowledge. The King learned that they were robbing the corpses to make money and wanted to know their secret: why didn’t they get sick? Four of the Thieves were captured and brought before the ruler who gave them a choice: share the secret or be burned at the stake.
The merchants shared the secret of the oil mix and the rest is history. The king spread the news around the city and also spread this “medicine”. Some recipes have been passed down, so today you can create your Thieves Oil or buy one in an essential oils shop.
What is thieves essential oil used for?
It has antibacterial properties
Given the essences used, this oil is useful for preventing infections—not surprisingly it was used by thieves during the plague—and it is also indicated for eliminating intestinal parasites. The drops used in a diffuser keep a room clean, eliminating viruses and bacteria: a safe and low-cost way to disinfect the whole house.
Strengthens the immune system
The immune system is a complicated system active day and night, in summer and winter. It can happen that in certain periods, due to a series of causes, it weakens. In these cases, it is necessary to help support it and allow it to regain its functionality. Also, in this case, the oil can be used in a diffuser to enjoy its benefits.
Relieves colds and flu
Not only does it help shorten recovery times from seasonal ailments but, if used promptly, it helps prevent them. Having antibacterial, pain-relieving, and anti-inflammatory properties, it is able to strengthen the immune system and raise the body’s defenses, making it ready to face enemy attacks. In both cases, it can be spread by massaging on the chest and back.
It is also very useful for the respiratory tract: an Italian study has shown that cinnamon and clove essential oils have antibacterial effects and are useful in the presence of many pathogens responsible for respiratory diseases. To strengthen the work of these two, eucalyptus is also added, which is indicated for viral infections of the respiratory tract.
Improves bone health
Thieves oil contains a substance able to stimulate the absorption of essential minerals in the body, thus allowing bones to remain healthier and more robust, also counteracting the development of osteoporosis.
Helps to lose weight
This merit comes from the properties of lemon, which helps to lose weight by stimulating the hormones that give a sense of satiety. It also promotes a good mood and can help in cases of nervous hunger.
Useful for cleaning the house
This mixture of essential oils can also be used for household cleaning, both as a floor cleaner and as a disinfectant against aerial bacteria. It also leaves a spicy and fresh scent. It is also useful if there are pets in the house.
Magickal properties and uses of Thieves essential oil
When you feel energetically drained and you need to spice things up a bit, or when you think some bag negative energy is around you, Thieves essential oil is amazing. It’s great for cleansing spells and rituals but also for focus spells.
The recipe for homemade Thieves essential oil
Preparing thieves oil is very simple: below you will find the recipe with the most used quantities. We need:
- 40 drops of clove essential oil. Clove has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, helps digestion, and protects the liver. It is indicated to strengthen the immune system. It is effective for treating oral disorders and also for relieving headaches.
- 20 drops of cinnamon essential oil. Cinnamon is one of the most powerful oils there is, able to improve brain functions, purify the blood, and improve its circulation. It has strong antibacterial and pain-relieving properties. In winter, it is useful to quickly get rid of colds, sore throats, and flu. It also relieves menstrual pain. It is considered an oil with protective capacities since it is useful for treating various health ailments.
- 35 drops of lemon essential oil: Lemon improves digestion and helps lower fever naturally. On the skin, it helps to reduce the signs of scars and even sunburn. It is a strong antiseptic and is used for respiratory problems, also resulting in an effective essence to relieve sore throat and to strengthen the immune system.
- 10 drops of rosemary essential oil. This oil is useful to improve memory and mood. It also helps eliminate toxins from the body. Used to reactivate circulation, it reduces inflammation and has antibacterial properties.
- 15 drops of eucalyptus essential oil. This oil with a particularly fresh aroma is a panacea for seasonal ailments and keeps the respiratory tract free and clean. It also helps relieve stress and anxiety. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties. For bacterial infections, it is one of the most suitable oils.
- 1 bottle with a dropper
Put all the oils in the bottle: the essential oils must be kept away from light and heat sources to prevent their properties from degrading. Make sure that children and pets cannot reach the bottle.
This mixture can be used in several ways:
- in a diffuser: just add a few drops in the diffuser and leave it on during the day. Given its perfume, it also helps to eliminate bad smells;
- in a spray: in this case, you can put water and a few drops of Thieves oil in a bottle with a dispenser; it can be used to disinfect animal beds or litter boxes;
- for topical use: to make beneficial massage oil, just add the drops of Thieves oil to a carrier oil, such as jojoba. The ratio is 1:4, therefore 50 drops of Thieves oil are enough for 100 ml of vegetable oil. It can be massaged on the back and chest but also in areas affected by inflammation and muscle pain.
Can you buy it online?
If you don’t want to create it on your own because let’s face it, it’s a bit demanding, you can find Thieves essential oil online with some great organic options.
Many websites sell the purest version of this oil, but, if you don’t feel comfortable buying it online or you simply cannot find a product that satisfies your expectations and convinces you, you can ask for an herbalist near you for help.
Don’t be shy, as this option is one of the best things you can do to get to know more and more products but also to connect with other people who are passionate about nature and its powers too! Go for it!