A cauldron is an important tool in which the witch begins the preparation of food and drink. The cauldron is the container in which the various magical transformations take place. It is the key to making potions and much more.
For the witches, the cauldron is one of the symbols of the Goddess, the essence of femininity and fertility, but not only, as it is also symbolic for the element of Water, for reincarnation, immortality, and inspiration.
Celtic legends about the Cerridwen cauldron have had a strong impact on today’s Witchcraft. In fact, the cauldron is often a focal point of the ritual as it represents prosperity and abundance, as well as the maternal womb.
The cauldron is an ancient vessel for the preparation of food and drink, wrapped in magical tradition and mystery. The cauldron is the container in which the magical synthesis takes place; the holy grail, the holy source, the sea of creation, the womb of the great mother, the Original synthesis.
To understand the history of this magical instrument we have to leap four centuries back in time. The use of the cauldron is very rooted in time, used for the manufacture of magical tools, filters, and spells. It was the most loved object by witches.
The use of the cauldron was a symbol of transformation, in which the raw metals were melted to obtain pure gold reaching perfection to create the philosopher’s stone.
- The fire that burns below.
- The water that boils in it and the elements of the earth used.
- The air and the steam it releases, the smoke and the spirits of the sylphs.
- The spirit of the entity or deity evoked.
The Cauldron rests on three legs which is a symbol of the triple aspect of the Goddess, and also represents the four elements: Fire boils water and, together with herbs, which are the gift of the Earth, creates steam, a symbol of Air.
The cauldron, during the rites of spring, can be filled with fresh water and flowers as my grandmother did when I was little, while during the winter season fire is lit inside it to represent the heat and light of the Sun (the God) returning from the cauldron (the Goddess).
This ritual is linked to agricultural myths, where God is born in winter, reaches maturity in summer, and dies after the last harvest.
A real cauldron is made of iron, resting on three legs, with the opening narrower than the rest of the body, but this is often not the case. The dimensions of modern cauldrons range from a few centimeters in diameter to one meter.
The cauldron can also be an instrument of observation if you fill it with water and observe its dark depths or it can serve as a container in which to prepare potions.
Witches see the cauldron as a symbol of the underworld goddesses, the manifest essence of indomitable femininity and fertility. It is also a symbol of the Water element, reincarnation, immortality, and inspiration. The cauldron is often a focal point of the ritual.
Cauldrons are hard to find, even small ones, but a thorough search usually leads to finding some high-quality and authentic cauldrons.
6 Ways to Use a Witch’s Cauldron
From the ancient traditions of witchcraft, modern witches adapt to its use in today’s society.
- The magic cauldron, before being able to use it, must be subjected to a ritual of purification and consecration, dedicating it to magical practice.
- Before using the cauldron, it must be magically loaded by drawing a magic pentacle with olive oil.
- When it was not in use, witches used to put some magical herbs in the cauldron such as verbena, camphor, and artemisia as an offering and catalyst of magical power.
- The cauldron must be washed and reprogrammed again if the purpose of the ritual is different from the previous one.
- During the Sabbat, the Esbat, and the Equinoxes, the cauldron is generally decorated with symbols of the season being celebrated.
- During spells, the cauldron can contain magical herbs, candles, water, and crystals.
Where can you get one?
You can buy a cauldron in an esoteric store if you know one or you can buy it online! Just avoid second-hand items and buy a new one so you can make it your own by channeling your own energy into it!