I am sure you have heard about this herb before. Even if you did, let’s take a look at Sage Magical Properties.
Sage is best known as one of the most powerful and beneficial herbs to purify and cleanse a place or a person from negative energies.
You might have seen it in some movie, or maybe you saw your grams using it! Linked to old ancient traditions, sage is a great herb to have and to use to create some magic.
Let’s learn more about this incredible herb.
- 1 What is Sage?
- 2 Sage’s Magickal Origins
- 3 What is Sage Used For?
- 4 Here are a Some Magickal Tips and Tricks
- 5 How to Use Sage for Cleansing
- 5.1 How to Recognize if There is Negative Energy Nearby?
- 5.2 How to Cleanse Yourself or a Loved One with Sage?
- 5.3 How to Cleanse Your Home with Sage?
- 5.4 How to Cleanse Animals or Objects with Sage?
- 5.5 How to Request Protection?
- 5.6 Spell to Attract Positivity and Love
- 5.7 An Amulet for Wisdom
- 5.8 How to Create a Herbal Candle?
- 5.9 Related posts:
What is Sage?
Sage (Salvia officinalis) is among the most popular aromatic herbs, and that was very popular in ancient times.
Its name is based on a word salvus, which means health.
Belonging to the Labiate family, sage is a plant that does not grow in the wild.
Unlike salvia pratensis or sage meadows, both varieties with similar properties that, as we can guess from the name, bloom spontaneously in meadows, pastures, and clearings.
Maybe you’ll find it interesting – there are over 900 species of sages in the world!
Flowering occurs from May to June, and its flowers are of a color that varies between blue and violet.
However, the sage leaves are used in a silvery gray color, which can be used fresh or dried.
These appear thick, rough and wrinkled, giving a pleasant and delicious aroma to the touch, that is much appreciated in the kitchen.
Sage’s Magickal Origins
Sage owes its healing properties to the influence of Jupiter.
It is a plant to which considerable virtues have been attributed over time, even magickal, so much so that it is defined, in popular culture, as a plant of immortality and Salvia savior.
The Gauls believed that this shrub could destroy everything evil, and perhaps not everyone knows that the Druids prepared a beer with healing powers, using sage as a secret ingredient.
In ancient times, the magic power to break spells and for the spells was attributed to sage, and the Chinese believed that their leaves gave longevity.
Since the Middle Ages it was used as a cicatrizing and the women of the past, who had only the gifts of Mother Earth at their disposal to heal themselves and their beauty, used to rub a few sage leaves on their teeth, to make them white and sparkling.
Native Americans used it as a powerful exorcising tool and, combined with cedar branches, it is burned by shamans for various purposes such as driving away evil spirits, attracting “good” spirits to the ritual area or for trance works.
It has also been used as a sacred herb which women drank in tonics to get pregnant.
A plant so extremely common and powerful could not go unnoticed in the history of humanity.
Some believed that sage was a sacred plant that would give them immortality, so much so that a medieval legend tells us that “Whoever cultivates sage in his garden, will have no reason to die.”
What is Sage Used For?
- It is being used in bathwater or burning incense, to help you with clarity, rationality, and excellent solvency to solve problems and conflicting circumstances.
- It provides discernment and mental clarity, so it is widely used in those rituals in which you want to know an answer or know a truth (or discover a lie).
- It is very suitable to spray an office with sage tea so that all the members have great mental clarity to work and face projects.
- It is one of the natural herbs “anti-illusion” since it fosters the rationality of thought against the excessive expectation of illusions that can be vain or false.
- It allows to distinguish them and opt for the most rational answer.
So you know, when you need clarity of thought to solve a difficult problem, take a bath with sage leaves or light a sage incense.
Here are a Some Magickal Tips and Tricks
- Native American shamans frequently burn dried sage stalks, thereby coming into contact with their spiritual guides and protective spirits.
- Sage leaves are used in countless money spells and protect against getting the evil eye. In this sense, it is recommended to carry a small horn full of sage.
- A piece of sage root is placed under the bed to induce prophetic dreams.
- Sage has been used to achieve a long life. This is achieved by eating it (a little) daily. However, to make this work properly, you need to consume it every day, only in month May.
- If you want to cut sage that’s growing in your garden, DO NOT do it. This brings bad luck. You have to find a stranger to do this job for you.
- If you want a wish to come true, write it on a sage leaf and hide it under your pillow. Sleep on it for three nights. If you dream once of what you want, your desire will materialize. If not, bury the sage so that it can’t cause harm.
How to Use Sage for Cleansing
It has been used for millennia by Native Americans and still is today as it allows you to purify yourself from negative energies, purify the environment and objects, protect yourself from negativity, open your mind and make it quiet.
Let’s see then which are the best ways to activate sage and cleanse someone or some place.
How to Recognize if There is Negative Energy Nearby?
If when you light the white sage smudge, the smoke released is thin and weak, it means that the energy of the house is clean.
But if the smoke is thick and curved it means that the air is saturated with negativity and the sage will neutralize it.
If you have a problem with negativity, let smoke the place for an hour.
Try the next day again and notice the progress of the smoke, which should be more harmonious and delicate.
It can also be noted that in some places of the house or with specific people, smoking has a “negative outcome.” Basically, you won’t see results overnight.
In these cases, it will be necessary to purify more often.
Here’s an important rule when using sage.
According to Eileen Nauman author of the book “Sacred White Sage: A Way to Clear Negativity” once the smudge is turned on, it should not be turned off.
The sage goes out by itself when it is finished its work of purification. Never put it out with water.
Here are different ways of using white sage that have different effects, but always profoundly beneficial.
How to Cleanse Yourself or a Loved One with Sage?
- Take a smudge (so-called the intertwining leaves) of white sage, turn it on and then blow it until it begins to release its purifying smoke.
Pass it along the whole body, starting from the toes on your feet.
If you have a feather (of any bird as long as it is not synthetic, and even better if collected from the ground rather than taken directly from the poor bird), it is possible to “massage” the smoke all along the body.
It is crucial to pass it over the top of the head.
After five minutes, you should feel a greater sense of lightness that can mitigate or make headache, nausea, nervousness, and general pain disappear.
- Drink a mixture of white sage.
Crumble three leaves into a cup, pour boiling water and wait 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, it is ready for you to drink it.
It is ideal when you have a fever, a bad mood, and feel that some negativity is around you.
- The infusion of white sage is used in shamanic sweat huts to stimulate sweating and the expulsion of toxins.
3 Add 20 grams of white sage leaves to the bath full of hot water. It’s a great way to cleanse the body.
How to Cleanse Your Home with Sage?
Pass smoke along all the walls of the house, being careful not to skip the edges.
It is ideal when you are buying a home or if you have never done it.
Furthermore, lighting a smudge when meditating or relaxing is a great way to calm the mind and open up to the divine.
How to Cleanse Animals or Objects with Sage?
The smoke of white sage is a powerful purifier. Shamans use it to purify their ritual objects like pipes.
We can use them to purify the crystals and also our animal friends, being careful not to burn them.
How to Request Protection?
If you want to strengthen your intuition and personal energy and shield external influences, you can always carry some white sage leaves with you in your pocket or bag.
Shamans in their “medicine bag” always have white sage with them.
Spell to Attract Positivity and Love
Here’s a spell to attract positivity and love.
You need to crush a handful of sage and put what’s left in a bowl with 2 liters of water.
Leave it for nine days on the sun and take a bath with this mixture – from head to feet.
An Amulet for Wisdom
It is good to carry an amulet with sage in a red or violet bag to always have that mental clarity and wisdom in acting.
Combined with mint and five-weed grass in an amulet, it brings an image of leadership and wisdom to the wearer.
How to Create a Herbal Candle?
Some herbal candles are made with compressed sage.
These candles are used to do quick cleanings, passing them around the person and praying for them.
I have made sage candles, and I can say they work great.
To make them, you need to collect fresh sage branches, because they don’t break.
You need to cut the hard parts of the stem and leave the tender ones aside.
You take three or four of these harder parts and tie them with a hemp thread. They need to dry face down in the shade.
When they are dry, they must be kept away from the sun and moisture.
They are fantastic for some quick magical works, and to burn as incense in case we do not have rods or cones.